Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Quilters of the SCTMQG Series: Suzanne McGovern


How did you get started quilting? 

My Grandmother made quilts and I knew I wanted to make them. I always thought, when I finished school, I would have her teach me but she passed before I finished.

Still interested, when I was a newlywed and new to the town, I found an adult ed class in Milton, MA and I signed up to learn the basics.  

How long have you been a quilter?

I started in 1976 and sewed for several years. I've come back to it in the last five years.


How many quilts do you think you have made in that time?

Maybe 30+


What is the story behind the first quilt you ever made?

I made a baby quilt for a friend I met in Lamaze class.



How would you describe your style of quilting?

I'm a little scattered-still finding my style-I lean toward small and improv.


What is your favorite type of quilt to make? (Paper pieced, applique, etc. ) Why?

Currently, I'm really enjoying applique. I'm working on a flower quilt and seeing a real difference in my style and ability!




What tool or tools could you not live without and why?

I would not have restarted quilting without a Rotary cutter and ruler!


What are your favorite materials to work with in terms of threads, fabrics, and batting?

polka dots, stripes, ginghams



Which colors do you gravitate toward in your quilts?/Which color have you never used or want to use?

Bright pastels--NO purple



How many UFO’s do you have?

More than 12! So many, in different stages, it's hard to tell!


If someone were to peek in on your quilting time, what would they see?

Chaos!



What themes do you see in your quilts? (Colors, shapes, techniques, etc.)

Improv -I prefer no pattern and random fabric selection


What were some turning points in your quilting process?


The first class I took when I re-started was Denyse Schmidt's improv class - I remember thinking how much things had changed since I made cardboard patterns!


Who are the people, artists, quilters, etc. you look to for encouragement and inspiration in quilting?

Freddy Moran, Gwen Marstin, Denyse Schmidt, Victoria Findley Wolfe to name just a few


Where else do you find inspiration for your quilts?

Instagram


What do you like best about quilting?

The community, the relaxation in making quilts and gifting



Where are you headed in your quilting, and what would you like to learn more about?

I do it for pleasure and now I would just like to improve my skills.


What would you want to try if time and money were no object?

Retreats


Last Question: What are you working on right now?

A UFO to check off my list!




No comments:

Post a Comment