Monday, January 15, 2018

Quilters of the SCTMQG: Lori Hashizume



How did you get started quilting?

My friend Edie Faile signed me up to help set up a quilt show at Southport Congregational Church. One day, during the show, a vendor at the market suggested I buy a quilt kit that included Amy Butler and Jennifer Paganelli fabric. After I finished the quilt top, I took it to a shop in Monroe to be quilted (shop is no longer there) and another kit caught my eye. I sewed that one and two raggy quilts. The first two quilts were eventually displayed at the Southport show in a special "modern" exhibit. Then began a long hiatus. Enter a knitting group friend, Michelle Lieberson, who got our group to enroll in a curved piecing class at The Quilt Shop in Danbury. Soon after, Michelle founded the Southern CT Modern Quilt Guild, and I "agreed" to join. My arm is easily twisted.


How long have you been a quilter? 

I made my first quilt probably in 2004. I did not know about attaching labels back then.

First quilt


How many quilts have you made in that time? 

More than a dozen.


What is the story behind the first quilt you have ever made? 

I was attracted to the modern design and colors of Amy Butler and Jennifer Paganelli fabrics and wanted the experience of sewing something other than clothing.

How would you describe your style of quilting? 

I save a lot of quilt photos on Pinterest. I'm drawn to the Gee's Bend quilts and like to use earthy colors with a pop of something joyful. I also like using recycled or vintage fabric in my pieces. Ha ha I say that as if I have sewn many quilts in this style.



What is your favorite type of quilt to make? (Paper pieced, applique, etc. ) Why?

I enjoy experimenting with all types of quilts. I could probably use more experience with applique. My favorite type of quilt to make is improv.


Favorite Quilt


What tool or tools could you not live without and why?

A sharp seam ripper, sharp rotary blades, and a good ruler. Recently, I discovered Quilter's Pressing Fleece made out of 100% felted wool. It's great for pressing blocks flat.


What are your favorite materials to work with in terms of threads, fabrics, and batting?

I like a sturdy, smooth thread and tend to use Mettler. I'm still experimenting with other quilters' favorites and have not developed any favorites. My batting of choice is Warm Company. I was surprised to find they make a polyester batting, which I like for the thicker loft.


Which colors do you gravitate toward in your quilts? Which color have you never used or want to use?

I tend to work with colors described by a word I heard often in childhood, jimina, a Japanese word meaning plain, simple, understated, maybe colors found in nature. I try to use all colors at some point. I know what colors I like when I see them.


How many UFO’s do you have?

According to our guild survey, I apparently have 12.

If someone were to peek in on your quilting time, what would they see?

I take my time. I like to clear my work space before starting a project, but that doesn't always happen.

What themes do you see in your quilts? (Colors, shapes, techniques,etc.)

I see a lot of curves.



What were some turning points in your quilting process?

I recently experienced a turning point, the kind where you say, "How did I not know this before?" It involves matching seams. More like an "aha!" moment than a turning point. I'm also trying to get a handle on free motion quilting on a domestic sewing machine. I would like to get better at that.



Who are the people, artists, quilters, etc. you look to for encouragement and inspiration in quilting?

I mentioned the quilters of Gee's Bend as a huge influence on my quilting. I was fortunate to be in a workshop with some ladies from Gee's Bend during Quiltcon 2015 in Austin, TX. I hesitate to single out any one artist, but I do draw a lot of inspiration from Denyse Schmidt. I love her fabric and her aesthetic. Of course, the ladies and gents in our guild are a constant source of inspiration with their show and tell and blocks of the month. And then there are the friends who follow me on instagram and like my quilts. That's all the encouragement I need.



Where else do you find inspiration for your quilts?

I find inspiration everywhere. In buildings, sidewalks, floors, windows, lampshades, grocery shelves, just about anything.


What do you like best about quilting?

Seeing a thought or idea become something tangible. I also like working with fabric. I started sewing at age 12 and made all of my clothing for many years. But using fabric in clothing is limiting in that one outfit is usually made out of one fabric. In quilting, I get to mix and match all my favorites in one project. I can see which colors and prints work together and which do not. I enjoy that.



Where are you headed in your quilting, and what would you like to learn more about?

Eventually, people start offering to pay you to sew a quilt for them. I usually say I cannot put a fair price on a finished quilt. I end up sewing quilts that I keep or give away to very special people as a gift. I can't keep sewing quilts for myself, so I'm not sure where I'm headed. I think I just need to keep practicing improvisational techniques.


What would you want to try if time and money were no object?

I would like to use the same pattern over and over but vary the colors, solids vs. prints, the amount of negative space, etc.


Last Question: What are you working on right now?

A baby quilt and a snowball quilt.









No comments:

Post a Comment